Sunday, April 17, 2011

Burnt Greens

Last Thursday, I went to Revel with my cousin Amelia and ate what amounted to a broiled salad. It was a mixture of lettuces and other greens, blackened on top and raw on the bottom, and it was very good. I don't think I can reproduce it, but yesterday I made something similar. I used kale raab (kale that had started to flower). I think any tough green like kale, chard, or collards would work fine.

  • 1/2 pound bunch of kale raab
  • 1 tbs. peanut oil
  • 1 tbs. fish sauce
  • 1 tbs. garlic-chili paste
  • 1 tbs. fermented plum paste, or fermented soy paste, or soy sauce
  • 1 tbs. rice vinegar
  • 2 tsp. sugar
  • 1 tbs. water

Mix together all the ingredients besides the greens and the peanut oil. Blanche the greens for about five minutes (less if they're young and tender) in boiling water. Drain and run cold water over them to stop the cooking. Lightly squeeze the greens to remove water and lay them out in an inch-thick layer on a baking sheet. Dry the top of this with a cloth or paper towel as best you can, and drizzle the peanut oil on it. Put the greens right under a preheated broiler. Take them out after about five minutes, when they've just started to burn at the tips. Put in a bowl and toss with the sauce.

Burnt greens.


A bulb growing in our planter.

No comments: